Missing templates in vs2012 premium

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Just downloaded and installed python tools and i was expecting there to be a new project template... but there wasn't

can someone please give me a guide on how to find them?

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM
There should be a separate "Python" language node in the New Project dialog, as on this screenshot from the docs:

If that's not there, something might have gone wrong with the installation - try repairing it.
Aug 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Aug 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM
that's odd. to double check:

which OS version? which PTVS version?

1. you installed VS2012 premium
  2. you downloaded PTVS <version> & installed it.
  3. when you look in add/remove pgms you see PTVS
  4. you start VS & there is no Python node
Aug 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Yes I have also tried to repair the install.... I have also just noticed that I also don't have javascript in my other projects! I am going to repair my visual studio install and get back to you.
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:00 AM
I believe that you will only see JavaScript templates if VS is installed on Win8, since Win7 does not support developing Store apps - and JS project types are only for those apps. And, judging by the screenshot, you are on Win7.

Can you confirm that the OS is Win7, and this is VS 2012 (and if so, which edition)? And which version of PTVS is that - 1.5 or 2.0 beta?

Also, when you open the Tools top-level menu, do you see the Python Tools submenu underneath?
Oct 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I am having the same issue... I was able to see the "Python" option in the "Other Languages" bullet before I installed PTVS, but after I installed it, the Python option was gone. I only saw what c_astle linked to in an earlier post. I am able to see the Python Tools submenu. Did this issue ever get resolved? Thanks, Hilari
Oct 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Hilari, can you clarify which VS version you're seeing this on (and I assume this is PTVS 2.0)?

Also, does repairing PTVS install helps? Normally, these symptoms indicate that installer progressed far enough that it erased the original PTVS template (that just offers you the download link), but did not succeed in registering its own templates. Re-running the installer in repair mode should finish the latter.
Oct 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I am using VS 2013 but it also didn't work when i tried it for VS 2012 (of course with the VS 2012 version of PTVS). I just tried reinstalling VS 2013 and PTVS 2.0, but that didn't help. Then I did a repair on PTVS and that still doesn't help. I'm still able to see the Python Tools, just not the Python templates.

It looks like I have the project templates in the path of my VS 2013: ...\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\2.0\ProjectTemplates\Python. Within this folder, I have listed 7 Zip files, some of of which are DjangoProject, ConsoleAppProject, ConsoleProject, etc. I was wanting to move these to the default project templates but I read on the VS website that I cannot create a folder for a new language... I could only add templates within already included languages.

Any further advise?

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Also, when I try to open a tool from the Python Tools menu, it won't let me. It gives me an error that say "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension." The tells me to look at my ActivityLog... should I be looking for anything specific in there?
Oct 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM
It sounds like PTVS had installed its files correctly, but failed when trying to register the extension with VS.

Can you try running this from command line:
devenv.exe /setup /log
and then providing the generated log (at %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<version>\ActivityLog.xml)? This should basically repeat the registration process, but with logging, so that we know what exactly went wrong there.
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I am not sure how to attach the entire log file. Here is one excerpt from it that I think might be beneficial:

<time>2013/10/18 19:46:33.960</time>
<description>PkgDef encountered data collision in section &apos;HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0_Config\Projects\{a2fe74e1-b743-11d0-ae1a-00a0c90fffc3}\AddItemTemplates\TemplateDirs\{a8637c34-aa55-46e2-973c-9c3e09afc17b}\/1&apos; for value &apos;&apos;</description>

Would this be enough or do you need to see the whole document?

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM
This one should not prevent PTVS from loading or its project templates from appearing. I think we'll need to look at the whole thing to find the point of failure.

Can you please send the log to ptvshelp@microsoft.com?
Oct 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM
We were able to track down the issue - the installer doesn't copy the files to the correct location if certain group policy settings are enabled. When this happens, you end up with a PTVS install that has repeated components in its path. The easiest way to see whether you're hitting this problem is to check the existence of the following path (adjusting the disk letter and Program Files accordingly):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\2.0\Extensions\

If this exists, then your PTVS install is broken in a similar way.

Until we fix this problem, the workaround is to run the PTVS installer under Administrator permissions, so that it does not have to elevate in the middle of installation. This can be done by opening an elevated command prompt (right-click -> Run as administrator), navigating to the folder which has the downloaded PTVS installer, and running it by "msiexec /i <filename>.msi".
Marked as answer by pminaev on 10/30/2013 at 10:46 AM
Oct 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I seem to be having a related problem, the installer just seems to freeze at "Updating extension registration with visual studio" and then after a while crasher.
I tried running the msiexec as sugested with no difference.

Visual Studio 2012
Python 2.7.5

Let me know if there is any other information required.
Oct 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I doubt that the problem is related - this particular step at installation is a catch-all for all kinds of errors, since that's when PTVS is first loaded into VS.

Can you please try running devenv /setup as described above, and send the log to ptvshelp@microsoft.com?
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.