Intellisense not working for .egg packages

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I'm using VS2012 and have tried PTVS 1.5 and 2.0. For some reason PTVS is skipping over .egg files when building the Intellisense database. I have added my site-packages directory to the search path.

When I go to tools -> python tools -> diagnostic info , I do not see the egg files listed in the files that it scans. However, if I extract the .egg files into a directory, they seem to get picked up when I regenerate the Intellisense database.

Is this a known issue that .egg files are not properly handled?
Jul 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Yes, it's a known issue. We will handle .zip files if you add them directly to your search path, but the UI may prevent you from adding a .egg here (already resolved, but not in Beta). Since the file types are identical, if you add an .egg here then it should work. If not (I don't think we check the extension anywhere, but I might have missed one), renaming the .egg to .zip will also work.

As for eggs in your site-packages, we are aware that they aren't scanned, but we haven't figured out how best to deal with them (we have some dependencies on real filenames, which don't exist in this case). As you've noticed, extracting them will make it work, and if you're using the 'Install Python Package' command inside VS we will pass the flags to easy_install to make it always extract.

Adding site-packages to your search path won't help, and will make VS run slower and use more memory. Adding individual eggs will help, and may be the best workaround for you, though it may require editing the .pyproj directly.