very new; basic questions

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:49 AM
I have been learning my python on IPython, and i want to emulate some of that experience on VS 2013, but i'm missing some basics that I have not found in the video overviews. 1) what is the equivalent of a Console.ReadLine() in python to keep the command window from closing? ...do you have to set a breakpoint which is on the videos?, 2) where is the rendering canvas for graphics? The debugging and memory view capabilities are great, but i am not finding convenient ways to display output.

Thanks for any guidance.

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt; import numpy as np
print('testing visual studio 2013 w/python')
x = np.arange(0, 5, 10)
y = np.sin(x)
plt.plot(x, y)
print('where is the canvas showing my plot?')
print('do i have to set a breakpoint to stop the cmd window from closing?')
print('') # put a breakpoint here
Coordinator
Jul 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Edited Jul 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM
hi jamie,

your reply is on youtube! :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQppqjw3D2c&hd=1
Coordinator
Jul 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Are you going to start doing customized videos for all questions? Hope you're not planning to rope the rest of us into this :P

That option to keep the command window from closing (2:23 in video, Tools->Options->Python Tools->Advanced->"Wait for input when process exits normally") might be turned on by default in our next version.
Jul 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Ptools, this is what I would call "exceptional support!" Thank you very much for this walk through. Your navigation helped me address some basic problems and conflicts that I encountered when installing multiple python libraries and interpreters on my machine…and how to locate windows python library versions on the net that were consistent with my python versioning; it really helped me sort it out. I am really liking Python using the Visual Studio IDE. I expect that the ability to manage multiple interpreters and virtual environments will prove handy. I'm also liking IPython; I expect I'll be leveraging both tools as I learn Python, which I am preferring over R, and it’s a great augment to Excel for data analysis. (disclosure: I am an employee of Microsoft, but this question wasn't submitted under my MS identity…opinions are my own). And "yes" Zooba, Ptools has now set the bar on our expectations for questions/responses :)
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM
jamie - my pleasure! glad you found it useful.

PS couldn't help it:

:)