Cannot get *any* python to show in Visual Studios all of a sudden..

May 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Well, I was having the issue others seem to be reporting ; All of a sudden VS2012 became angry and would crash when attempting to open my existing python projects, and did the same when trying to create new ones.

So I went about trying to fix the issue, by reinstalling PTVS, ironpython, etc. Besides that the only other things I remember doing was removing the extension files/folders in the VS/11.0/Common7 yadda yadda directory.

Well, now I get NO python showing whatsoever in VS, i've tried installing/reinstalling PTVS 2.0/1.5, ironpython multiple times, I even reinstalled my entire VS2012 Ultimate install (what a pain in the a$$)

Regardless of what installs, or uninstalls I perform now, there just is no python recognition. IPy works fine via console, the VS2012 extensions folder is populated with the PTVS folders/files...yet, no dice..
May 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Well, a little bit of sunshine I suppose.

Tried a few various things others mentioned briefly in posts here and there, ended up with python tools finally showing under the extension manager. From there I tried making a new user account, and now everything displays as it should (but this is now in my non-default user account...)

How can I fix my original user account so that VS and PTVS are happy campers? :/

I've run just about every devenv switch command possible, and installed/reinstalled/deleted/talked nicely to/ just about every file I can see as impacting on this issue >.>
Coordinator
May 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM
It sounds like your VS installation has become corrupted, probably in the registry. You should just be able to delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0 and run VS again (there are also keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but since it works fine in another account, you won't want to touch these) - the usual disclaimer about messing with the registry applies.

I'd suggest renaming the "11.0" rather than deleting it, but VS should regenerate it all when you next run it.

To be extra safe, I'd also suggest uninstalling PTVS before you do this and only reinstalling it after you've made sure VS is still working. There's no need to reinstall any Python interpreters.
May 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Edited May 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Yup, fixed it..thank you Zooba, much appreciated.

Guess I should specify what I did - I chose to just delete the entire registry entry at
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

Also removed the config, just cause..so if anyone else has this issue..this may help you out.