Intelisense Problem

May 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Hi,
So the intelisense works perfectly in the interactive windows ,but in the code editor it doesn't work properly I generated the database as stuff ,but it still does not show up.Any idea?

I am using the latest Alpha version ,but the same problem was there in 1.5 RTm as well.
Python 2.6 btw.
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM
The interactive windows are able to use live Python objects, which is why they tend to work fine. However, for the editor we don't want to execute arbitrary Python code, so we do static analysis.

There's a lot of reasons why this analysis can fail, and most are due to particular libraries not being suitable for static analysis. Can you tell us what libraries you're using and what results you are expecting to see?
May 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Hey.thanks for the reply.I was using Openrave a robotics library for python 2.6 (at least for widows) .The site-packaged of the lib is the Python Path so i thought when i regenerate the databases it would go through it.And at leat member functions for some objects would be shown ,but the completion does not work at all.The analsis includes stuff in the Python-PAth right?
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
The analysis will only look inside the Python library (so anything inside C:\Python26\Lib, including site-packages), but it looks like OpenRAVE installs elsewhere and relies on PYTHONPATH to be set.

We ignore the global PYTHONPATH (it doesn't work well when you have two different versions of Python installed) - instead, you should create a project in VS (which you probably have already) and add the OpenRAVE path as a Search Path. This will include it in your project's analysis (rather than the saved database), and when you use F5 or Ctrl+F5 to run your project we'll add it to PYTHONPATH.
May 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Hi,
I tried that doesn't work yet though.Its kinda weird.The search works on subfolders right?
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
It does, but it will only work on .py files. OpenRAVE includes some compiled modules that we can't analyse, so those may be causing the trouble, but there should be enough files there that we can give you something... you don't see 'openrave' in your list of modules?

I'll add this to our list of libraries to test against... they're clearly doing something odd that we need to handle better.
May 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Edited May 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Great thanks.It is kinda weird say if it is not in search path ,when i try import open.. it comes up.But if i add the searchpath it does not .I think its mostly OpenRaves fault ,but still kinda weird.
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM
How quickly are you trying it after changing the search path? We spend a bit of time analyzing the libraries before they'll appear, so maybe you just need to wait a bit? (You can watch the CPU usage of Visual Studio if you like - right now, that's the best feedback we give...)
May 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I kinda did try that.But well if I try during the analysis does it mess it up?
Coordinator
May 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM
It won't mess up, but we may be showing you the old results if we haven't finished generating the new ones. (That makes more sense than getting less results after you add something.)