Python projects does not show up in Visual Studio 2012 ?

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Hello,

I have installed IronPython 2.7.3 (and Python 3.3.1) and Python Tools for Visual Studio 2012.

I have Visual Studio 2012 Professional Version.

I do see the Python tools menu. I can open the Python terminal window embedded in Visual Studio but not projects appear when trying to add a new project.

The diagnostic feature gives me the result at the bottom. No information about the projects....

Something i missed in the installation process ?

Best regards

Marius

Projects: 
Interpreters: 
    Microsoft.PythonTools.ConfigurablePythonInterpreterFactoryProvider
    Microsoft.IronPythonTools.Interpreter.IronPythonInterpreterFactoryProvider
        Factory: IronPython
        Version: 2.7
        Arch: X86
        Path: C:\Program Files\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe
        Windows Path: C:\Program Files\IronPython 2.7\ipyw.exe
        Path Env: IRONPYTHONPATH

Microsoft.PythonTools.Interpreter.Default.CPythonInterpreterFactoryProvider
        Factory: Python
        Version: 3.3
        Arch: X86
        Path: C:\Python33\python.exe
        Windows Path: C:\Python33\pythonw.exe
        Path Env: PYTHONPATH

Launchers:
    Launcher: Microsoft.PythonTools.Project.DefaultLauncherProvider
        Launches and debugs Python programs.  This is the default.
        Standard Python launcher

Launcher: Microsoft.PythonTools.Django.Debugger.DjangoLauncherProvider
        Launches Django web sites using the Python debugger.  This enables launching and starting a web browser automatically.  It launches using manage.py and passes the runserver flag as well as additional options to configure the port and other settings.
        Django launcher

Launcher: Microsoft.IronPythonTools.Debugger.IronPythonLauncherProvider
        Launches IronPython scripts using the .NET debugger.  This enables debugging both IronPython code as well as other .NET code such as C# or VB.NET.
        IronPython (.NET) launcher
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM
It won't be anything that you missed, we don't provide any options to do with templates.

If you click on File->New File are there any Python-related entries? (Or for that matter, any entries that look like garbage - we've seen that once or twice before.)

About all I can suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling PTVS. Make sure that Visual Studio is not running while (un)installing and maybe try changing between an All Users and Just For Me installation (click Advanced on the EULA page of the installer).

There should be no need to reinstall Visual Studio itself in this case, since PTVS is working fine.
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

I have tried re-installing the PTVS as a Just for me installation but with no luck. Anyhow it seems like I can use all of the libraries with luck so the project is not that important.

I just started using Python and it seems like at very good tool that I am just sorry for not trying out earlier :-)