Getting Started With PTVS on Windows

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Hello All,

I was wondering if I could get some pointers from those who are using Visual Studio 2010/2012 with Python Tools for Visual Studio for someone (me) who is just starting to use Python on Windows. I come from a heavy C# background with work in Java, PHP, and others in a primarily Windows development environment and until recently I did all my Python work on Ubuntu. I have been experimenting and learning Django and digging deeper into Python for a bit but would really like to be able to combine the full features of Visual Studio and Python using PTVS so I can get more work done.

Specifically I am looking into learning how everyone has their systems setup. My goal is to be able to know how to setup a multi-python version environment with versions 2.7 and 3.2 or 3.3 and with virtualenv for each. I would like to also know to install packages like NumPy, South, and others into each of those virtual environments or globally for a version and be able to reference those packages from Visual Studio in a Python project.

It seems like the project developers have done a nice job of doing videos on YouTube showing off the features of PTVS as well as some written documentation. But it would be extremely helpful if they or someone else could do a basic 10 min. intro video showing the basics of getting it all setup assuming the user has Windows 7/8 with Visual Studio installed and nothing else; basically hitting the following items:
  1. Install and configure multiple Python versions on the same machine.
  2. Installing and configuring PTVS.
  3. Configure and install PIP and Virtualenv (and note any necessary information for Python 3.3 users (since the PTVS 2 Alpha does not support Pyvenv).
  4. Install some basic packages.
  5. Create a project that references/imports some of those recently installed packages.
  6. Create a Django project (probably could combine with #4).
  7. Run a this project and along the way show off the other awesome features that PTVS has or enables for developers.
  8. Anything else relevant or important my simple lists misses.
I know that sounds like a lot but even a fraction of it will help me out!

Thanks,

Christopher
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
bizarre - i was just discussing doing such an end-to-end type video that ties everything together w zooba. we'll definitely do this. probably for beta when a few other features are arriving & venv support is finalized. great idea!
Mar 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I'll second this request, and suggest that you don't assume too much Windows/Visual Studio knowledge. I suspect you may be attracting folks (like myself) that don't have much experience with VS.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
mmclark - understood. will do it based on that assumption. perhaps even two videos. one that has a "so you're new to windows / vs" flavor to it.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM
copied to http://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/1075 so we don't forget.