Python tools stopped working

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I did a full installation of pytools for VS2012 and initially it was working. I created a solution with both c# and ironpython, which performed as expected. Today during new Windows session, I could open neither the solution file nor any of the project files it contains. Visual Studio doesn't inform about the error, it just shows the same window that shows up when an app is unresponsive and prompts to either close or restart.

I tried reinstalling pytools twice: by repairing and by removing it first (I refer to installer's options). After this it works even worse. Now, it seems every pytools-related action in VS causes an unhandled error and requires to close or restart. By every pytools-related action I mean:
  1. Creating a new python project
  2. Loading an existing project/solution that was created with pytools
  3. Opening Tools->Python Tools menu (just hovering over pytools menu items)
  4. Creating a c# project and adding a new file with .py extension - it's fine yet. Now opening this file or showing its properties (F4 in solution explorer) causes the error.
Notice VS itself runs fine and I experience no issues with pure c# solutions. Assuming pytools uses some sort of lazy loading, the error appears to happen just at the time the loading procedure is triggered. Just now I'm unable to provide more detailed info about the error itself. Activitylog.xml contains no info about it. Any ideas what to start with?

I have VS2012 Ultimate on Windows 7 64-bit.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM
You're right, PTVS is lazily loaded. To clean up the uninstallation, you can just delete its installation folder and restart VS (if you want to be extra careful, you can run devenv.exe /setup from a VS command prompt before restarting, but it shouldn't matter).

As for the original issue, you may have more information in your system's Application event log - hopefully a stack trace. If you've been sending error reports to Microsoft then we can also look at those to see what's going on; again, the event log will have information to help us find these reports.