Roadmap for Azure “Web Sites” Python Framework support

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

When this is going to happen - weeks or months?

I found these notes on your project page: Coming Soon: Azure “Web Sites” Python Framework support: Django, Flask, Bottle, Web2Py, … support

Do you need any help for that? Is it possible to use or develop any unreleased but working code targetting this feature?

Thanks for your answer!

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

It's a work in progress.  You can do it right now but it's more steps than we would like to.

For example, about a month ago you had to publish a python interpreter, site packages, wfastcgi handler and your web app, then configure environment variables and the handler in the azure web site configuration page.

Since then we've been able to simplify it by having Python 2.7 and wfastcgi (any day now) pre-installed on the system that hosts the web site.  You now just have to publish your site-packages and your web app (then do the configuration).  An immediate benefit of that, besides being simpler, is that someone can now develop an azure web site without having a Windows Python 2.7 interpreter (that helps people developing from Linux or Mac).

Ideally, you'd pick your favorite web framework from a drop down box from the azure portal, and azure would install that framework and do the configuration for you.  Hopefully we'll get there soon.

As of now, you should be able to use frameworks other than Django.  The wfastcgi handler is flexible enough, you just need to set up the WSGI_HANDLER environment variable correctly.

Thanks for you interest!

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

sgottfriend, you said:

Do you need any help for that?

If you know your way around wfastcgi, azure, flask, etc. & would like to contribute an article / video / etc. that would be great!

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for your detailed answer. Basically I was looking for a way to apply standard python deployment methods like virtualenv or zc.buildout but now it seems to me that these tools only become an option in an Azure cloud service deployment setup. Are there any reasons not to use standard python distribution/deployment ways?

I looked into django.core.handlers.wsgi.WSGIHandler and got the idea about 

For today I would like to inform you about the project "iiswsgi" that tries to solve the python deployment story on windows system running IIS7. It offers a FastCGI to WSGI gateway (you provide

It even more addresses things you may be want to offer in future like building MS Deploy packages and distributing via Web Platform Installer (WebPI) looking to me as a way to go to distribute several versions of Django or any other distutils/setuptools enabled Python application. Using this project the guy behind it has managed to make Plone, a mature python CMS, distributable as a WebPI package. Plone now has a robust Windows/IIS deployment story. The project is looking for "assistance getting the FCGI gateway to work under full IIS". Any Azure use case should provide this. A perfect match!

I am going to use this project now for using pyramid with IIS7. My hope is that in the meantime the PVTS or Azure Python Team could use any ideas of this project to provide 1st class Python deployment on Windows Azure in 2013.

Project Links:

• Project - 
  • FastCGI to WSGI gateway that is compatible with IIS's variation of the FastCGI protocol -
  • Plone on WebPI -
  • Pyramid WebPI package -

Stories driving the project