How do I set up IPython REPL and make it work without exiting.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:00 AM

I have VS 2012, Python 2.7, IPython 0.13 stable. I have all the required pyzmq installed.

I am using PTVS 1.5RC.

Everything works fine with the standard python 2.7 interactive environment.

When I set interactive mode to IPython in /tools/options/python tools/ and run my scripts I do not get any ipython functionality.

e.g none of the magic commands work in the interactive interpreter.

Do I need to set up a new interpreter in interpreter options with the path pointing to c:\Python27\Scripts\ipython.exe?

Any help is appreciated.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

The only thing you might need to do is reset the interpreter (usually only necessary if you were already using it before switching to IPython mode).  You can do that by clicking on the reset button in the interactive window.

After doing that and then executing the 1st command you should see something along the lines in the output:

[IPKernelApp] Staging bundled ipython_config.py from default into u'C:\\Users\\dinov\\.ipython\\profile_default'

[IPKernelApp] To connect another client to this kernel, use:

[IPKernelApp] --existing c:\users\dinov\appdata\local\temp\tmpyxj5o1.json

Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment [backend: module://IPython.zmq.pylab.backend_inline].

For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.

If you're not seeing that I'd suggest making sure the right interpreter is getting configured.  You might want to make sure you're not somehow getting 2 "Python 2.7" interpreters or that the "Show settings for" in Tools/Options/Python Tools/Interactive Windows has 2.7 selected - it's a little bit subtle but that alters which interpreter the rest of the options apply to.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM

It's all working now thanks.

I went back to square one and followed the instructions in the documentation.

By the way, does IPython magic work in PTVS?

J.