IPython Interactive Window with help system '?' command

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Hi,

I am trying to run the interactive window with IPython. I haven't been able to get things like:

print?

print??

working in the interactive window. In IPython this would print out help for that specific function, but the interactive window does not recognize it. Is it possible to get this in the interactive window too?

Thanks!

-Floris

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If you have IPython installed, you'll want to update your interactive window settings to use it.

Under Tools->Options select Python Tools->Interactive Windows. Make sure you've selected the interpreter that has it installed from the first dropdown and then change Interactive Mode to IPython or IPython (w/o PyLab).

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Did as you suggested and verified that the setting were changed but still, I get the defualt interactive window and print? still not working. What did i do wrong?

Coordinator
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Are you certain that you have the correct interactive window open? That's the only thing I can think of that wouldn't display some sort of error message.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Is there more than one...? Ill check it later and let you know

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Under Tools->Options->Python Tools->Interactive Windows->Interactive Mode I have Ipython selected.

In debug->Windows I choose Python debug Interactive - and that opens a python shell rather then Ipython shell. I didnt see other interactive windows availbale under debug->windows...

Coordinator
Dec 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

The window with IPython enabled is a normal interactive window and not the debug one. You can find a list of the interactive windows under View->Other Windows or Tools->Python Tools - you should have one for each version of Python that we've detected. These cannot interact with a running program, but you can import your own modules in for testing.

When you set the option under Interactive Windows, there was a dropdown list at the top labeled "Show Settings For". You'll want to make sure that you open the Interactive Window that was selected there (or go back into options and change that before modifying the IPython setting). If you only have one version of Python installed then this should be no problem.