Debugging doesn't show messages?

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Hei there,

i just started to use python tools, 1.5 for vsiual studio 2012. 

When i run a script just by pressing f5 or trying to run it with debugging, it seems to not run properly (no output, no gui when using PyQT4) and when i insert an error, it doesn't give me any output or breaks at the error (divission by 0 or something)

However by running it without debugging or executing it in the python interactive it at least runs

I am sure it is probably only a matter of settings, but i couldn't find the right one.

What am I missing?

sorry for the stupid question.

Best wishes

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I am facing the same exact problem. First, I installed PTVS for VS2010 and it worked nice. After that I installed PTVS for VS2012. Any help will be appreciated.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Same problem here. I put up an issue.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2012 at 2:16 AM

that is odd... i debug regularly & it works fine for me... 

just to be sure - you set a breakpoint on a line, hit F5 & the breakpoint gets completely ignored?

if so, can you state your environments:

OS version

VS version

PTVS version

installed python / python pkgs.

etc.

thx.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I'm interested in your installed Python versions - all of them, not just the one you're using - including whether they are 32 or 64 bit and installed for the whole computer or just your own user. Could you also check the interpreter options (Tools->Options->Python Tools) to see whether we've detected them correctly?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I'm facing the same problem.

I've got Python 2.7 and 3.3 installed running both in 64bit versions on a Win 7 64 bit machine. Using PTVS RC 1 2012 with VS 2012 integrated/isolated shell. Python is installed for all users.

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Unfortunately there was a bug with the integrated shell that prevented debugging with 64-bit interpreters. This has been fixed for the final release.

Also, thanks for providing enough details that we could identify the issue. It can be a little surprising how specific some bugs are, especially when we're tied into a product as big as VS.

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM
PTVS 2.0 solved this problem?
Jul 8, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Zooba wrote:
Unfortunately there was a bug with the integrated shell that prevented debugging with 64-bit interpreters. This has been fixed for the final release. Also, thanks for providing enough details that we could identify the issue. It can be a little surprising how specific some bugs are, especially when we're tied into a product as big as VS.
PTVS 2.0 solved this problem?
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Yes, we added a workaround to PTVS to fix this. It's available in PTVS 1.5 and should continue to work in 2.0.