Debugging without creating a Visual Studio Solution or create a Solution without moving existing files...

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I have a large number of inter-related python files in seperate folders.

I would like to use Visual Studio as my debugger these after running it in the interactive window, i.e. stop at break points etc. in Visual Studio.

However I do not get (there is no such menu option) the menu option Debug > Windows as described here: http://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Features%20Debugging#DebugInteractiveWindow.

Trying: Debug > Execute File in Python Interactive, does not work either - break points do not work.

I suspect this is all because I am using my loose python files rather than creating a solution.. Is there a way to create a solution to point to my existing files without copying them all into the solution folder (this is not an option I have almost a hundred files under source control and cannot move them around).

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Ha Ha no worries, of course:

I just create a solution, and in the one startup file:

import my_module

my_module.run() # set breakpoint here then step in
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The interactive window is a new feature in 1.5, and it wasn't in the 1.5 beta, so that's the reason why you won't see that there.  Debug->Execute in Interactive doesn't actually launch under the debugger, it just runs the program in the interactive window w/o debugging.  The next release will have the debug REPL so you can start using that.  Otherwise you can use the normal F5 debugging experience where breakpoints should work.