Format Selection

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Hi, I 've just installed version 1.1.1, and I'm quite impressed. There is one fly in the pointment for me though, that the Format Selection command is not supported. This is a pain for me because I have the tab key mapped to that command, which works beautifully in C++ and C# editors but makes this tool unusable for actual editing. Any plans to support it in future releases (I realise I am a beta release behind here).

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

We have an issue tracking this feature, but it needs more support (or a volunteer to write it) before it becomes part of our plan: http://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/176

A problem with reformatting Python code is that indentation cannot be entirely inferred like in C++ and C#. We have auto-indentation that handles a lot of cases (indent after 'if', unindent after 'return', etc.) but it is impossible to determine for every possibility - a function with no 'return' simply ends when the next line of code has been unindented. Some amount of manual formatting is required by the language, and auto-format can never fully replace this.