"Add Windows Azure Cloud Service Project" menu item

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Hi all,

I've been trying to get this menu item to work all day, but no combination of packages from the MS Web Platform Installer seems to get me there - either the menu item isn't present at all, or it is present and gives this error - "The language specified is not supported by any of the installed packages".

As far as I can see I have everything required installed - Azure Python SDK, Azure Tools, .NET SDK, .NET MVC 3, Visual Studio 2010, etc. - but I've hit a dead end. Does anyone have any ideas, or any examples of the web.config/.csdef/.cscfg files that this command presumably produces, so I can handle this manually?

Cheers,

Kerin

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

You’ll need to install the “Cloud Tools for Visual Studio” I think the easiest way to get this is to go to windowsazure.com, click on Develop, click on Python, and then click on Windows Installer. This will actually install everything you need to get going w/ Django development on Azure. Another route is http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/ which includes the tools for VS but it also includes the client libs for .NET which you won’t need.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 9:08 AM
To: Dino Viehland
Subject: "Add Windows Azure Cloud Service Project" menu item [pytools:389321]

Hi all,

I've been trying to get this menu item to work all day, but no combination of packages from the MS Web Platform Installer seems to get me there - either the menu item isn't present at all, or it is present and gives this error - "The language specified is not supported by any of the installed packages".

As far as I can see I have everything required installed - Azure Python SDK, Azure Tools, .NET SDK, .NET MVC 3, Visual Studio 2010, etc. - but I've hit a dead end. Does anyone have any ideas, or any examples of the web.config/.csdef/.cscfg files that this command presumably produces, so I can handle this manually?

Cheers,

Kerin

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I did start with the windows installer at windowsazure.com (Windows Azure SDK for Python). Once that was installed I had Django support in VS, but no Azure Cloud Service Project option - for that to appear I had to install the .NET SDK and .NET MVC 3 packages with the Web Platform Installer.

So as far as I can see I've got all the requirements installed - I just can't get the Azure Service menu option to do anything.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Can you go to Help->About and click Copy Info and paste back the list of installed products?

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM

sure:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1RelMicrosoft .NET FrameworkVersion 4.5.50501 SP1Rel
Installed Version: IDE Standard
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010   01011-532-2002361-70647Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Hotfix for Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) - ENU (KB2591016)   KB2591016This hotfix is for Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) - ENU.If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2591016.
Microsoft Python Tools for Visual Studio   1.1.50530.0Python Tools for Visual Studio provides intellisense, project support, project and item templates, as well as a REPL window for Python development.
Microsoft Python Tools for Visual Studio - Django Integration   1.1.50530.0Provides templates and integration for the Django web framework.
Microsoft Python Tools for Visual Studio - Profiling Support   1.1.50530.0Profiling support for Python projects.
Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB983509)   KB983509This service pack is for Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) - ENU.If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.
Windows Azure Tools   June 2012Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 - June 2012 v1.7.50517.1601
Windows Azure Tools   November 2011Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 - November 2011 v1.6.41103.1601

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Oh, you're in the integrated shell?  Unfortunately, there is actually a known issue where the cloud tools don't work inside of the integrated shell because of some dependencies they have which aren't available.  We're planning on working w/ that team to make sure that we can get support in the future, but for the time being you'll need to get Pro/Premium/Ultimate.  The free trials can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/try  I think you should be able to just install one of those and then be good to go.  Sorry for the trouble!

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Thanks for that, installing VS Pro solved the problem - I don't usually work with Windows so didn't realise there was a distinction between VS versions.