Cannot find PyKinect

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Hi, I'm trying to get at least a sample running for PyKinect but even after installing everything, it doesn't show up in Visual Studio. Under Tools->Python Tools, I only have the 3 options:

• Diagnostic Info...
  • Python 2.7 Interactive
  • Execute File in Python Interactive (greyed out)

Not sure why the Samples directory wouldn't be there though. Any ideas?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Does Help->About or Tools->Extension Manager list the plugin as being installed?

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

On both machines I tried to install it on, it shows "Python Tools for Visual Studio" and "Python Tools for Visual Studio, Profiling Support" as installed, but not PyKinect specifically.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2012 at 3:45 AM

If you refresh Add/Remove programs is it still in the list there?  I think I recall one report where it may have failed to install.  If it's not in ARP then try installing again.  If that fixes it then it'd also be great if you could look in Event Viewer and send any errors that may have been logged during setup.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Yes, it is listed under ARP and is still there after a reboot. Looking through the logs in Event Viewer, there doesn't seem to be any problems. The log reads: "Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Python Tools for Visual Studio. Product Version: 1.1.50409.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or errors status: 0"

Thanks for your time so far!

EDIT: I did find something strange: there are no files besides License.html in C:\Program Files\Python Tools for Visual Studio. Not sure if there is supposed to be anything in there though. I tried reinstalling PTVS through the command prompt with admin privileges but it still doesn't populate the folder with anything else.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Is there an entry in event viewer which includes "Python Tools for Visual Studio - PyKinect Sample" as well?   There should be seperate entry for the samples both in ARP and in eventvwr.  Have you downloaded both http://pytools.codeplex.com/releases/view/85004#DownloadId=366377 (which is the MSI which installs the PyKinect support) and http://pytools.codeplex.com/releases/view/85004#DownloadId=366379 (which is the demos for the PyKinect sample?  A little confusing I guess...)

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Doy, I actually just did that no more than 10 minutes before you posted. I didn't see the PyKinect sample msi on the PyKinect page. Got it installed now. Thanks a bunch, dinov!

Just wondering, what happens if you try to run PyKinect with the 64 bit SDK? I have 2 machines with the 32 bit version installed on one and the 64 bit on the other so I'll be good either way.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hello,

I am trying to install the pyKinect and I, too, am seeing the same issue. I installed the PTVS 1.5 Beta 1.msi and then the PTVS 1.5 Beta 1 - PyKinect Sample.msi . But when I try to install it inside VS10, I see a command window pop up and then nothing. Executing the sample code breaks at import pyKinect. When I check the C:\Program Files(x86)\pyKinect all I see is the License.htm file. What do I do?

I tried to install the 1.1 version and that also didn't get me anywhere.

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM

For Beta 1 or earlier, make sure you have setuptools for a successful install of PyKinect.  (This has been fixed after the beta, we no longer require setuptools)

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM

That worked! Thanks.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Oh yeah, sorry about this. I should've replied back when I figured it out. We never got it working on a 64 bit machine with 64 bit VS10 (because it doesn't support it...). We ended up formatting an unused laptop with 32 bit Windows and 32 bit VS10. It worked out just fine after that, but unfortunately, that isn't an actual solution.

EDIT: Just saw that you got it working for yourself, nice work!