Intellisense for site-packages

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Hello,

I am new to PTVS and it looks fantastic. Unfortunately I cannot get intellisense working for the waist majority of the packages I have installed, which makes the tool somehow useless for me - which is really a pitty.

I have installed Python 2.7.2, IronPython 2.7.2 and Python (x,y) . So things like numpy, scipy etc. are delivered by the Python (x.y) package. So my - probably simple / maybe stupid (?) - question is: How can I make the Intellisense DB update find numpy etc.?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards...

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I'm no authority at all (just a user like you), but maybe adding a search path to your site-packages directory (if you are using PTVS with its full-fledged project feature, then Search Paths is a top-level folder that you can add paths there) or I believe you can setup default search paths by using an environment variable, which for IronPython by default should be IRONPYTHONPATH. You could then add the paths to site-packages there.

Anyway, just a guess...

Russ

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM

We should pick up anything installed in site-packages.  You might want to go to Tools->Options->Python Tools->Interpreter Options, select the 2.7.2 interpreter, and then click Generate completion database.  This can take a little while to complete especially if you have a large distro like Enthought's or ActiveState's. 

From there make sure the project you're using or the default interpreter (again in Tools->Options->Python Tools->Interpreter Options) is set to the interpreter you expect to find the completions against.

If neither of those fix the issue let us know!