exception when launching a python solution with vs2010

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I get an exception the very first time I click anywhere on vs2010, if I have launched it by opening a solution. If I launch vs2010 first and then open a solution the exception doesn't occur. Here is an example from the log vs2010 generates at C:\Users\[ME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml.

<entry>
    <record>331</record>
    <time>2012/03/19 00:40:06.424</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>Editor or Editor Extension</source>
    <description>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.PythonTools.Navigation.DropDownBarClient.FindActiveNestedSelection(Int32 newPosition, ReadOnlyCollection`1 nested)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.PythonTools.Navigation.DropDownBarClient.UpdateNestedComboSelection(Int32 newPosition)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.PythonTools.Navigation.DropDownBarClient.FindActiveTopLevelComboSelection(Int32 newPosition, ReadOnlyCollection`1 topLevel)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.PythonTools.Navigation.DropDownBarClient.CaretPositionChanged(Object sender, CaretPositionChangedEventArgs e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)</description>
  </entry>

Any ideas how to stop it happening? Vs doesn't crash, its still annoying though.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Do you have Tools->Options-Text Editor->Python->General->Display->Navigation bar unchecked?  Changing that might cause the issue to go away at the cost of enabling or disabling the navigation bar.  I'll have to see if I can repro the issue to understand what's going on and if there's something else that can be done about it.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.