Relative interpreter path

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I'm using a python interpreter that is distributed alongside our codebase. In order to use this I have set the Debug->Interpreter Path setting to the location of the interpreter relative to the project file. This works some of the time but sometimes it complains that it cannot find the interpreter. I have verified the path is correct, and no other settings have changed. I'm not sure what causes it to stop working.

Using the absolute path to the interpreter works, but it is quite important it is relative as the project is source controlled which means it's not guaranteed to be in the same location for every user.

Is this a known bug? Or have I set something up wrong?

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

This is a bug, we currently don't do anything special with the file path if it's relative, I think we should root it to the project dir if it's not set. 

A work around is to edit the project file by hand and set the interpreter path like:

<InterpreterPath>$(MSBuildThisFileDirectory)\..\python.exe</InterpreterPath>

This will make it relative to the dir the project file is in.  If you edit it in the UI we'll save the full path back out which is also not right, so we should also update the UI to show the unexpanded form of the path when fixing this.