What type of window are the Interactive windows?

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM

My Python 2.7 Interactive window (or any of the interactive windows) are black, with off-white text. However, the results of commands are all black-on-black! How do I fix this? I don't even know how to remove the black background, if I wanted to go that route.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM

The interactive windows are tool windows which contain the VS text editor.  In general if you want to configure the colors you'll just want to configure the text editor colors.

Assuming you have VS setup for a light on dark color scheme you probably just need to reconfigure the "Interactive - " colors in Tools->Options->Font and Colors.  These colors correspond with the ANSI color escape codes and the REPL supports recognizing those and colorizing the text, you probably want to at least switch black to white and vice versa.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Ah, that's it. Thanks. I was looking for a window type ("Show settings for:"), not a setting within the Text Editor settings.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM

And you were looking for the right thing, we just haven't gotten around to adding it yet :).  The VS team is making further changes to the interactive window we ship w/ PTVS and is planning on shipping it in a future version of VS (they already ship it w/ the CTP of Roslyn).  This is one of the things that's on the radar to fix.