iPython REPL

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Hi,

could you please tell me how to set up the ipython REPL in visual studio?

Thanks

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Hi,

I'm interested too by a little help to set up the IPython console:

1. I have successfully installed the VS2010 integrated shell and PTVS 1.0rc2

2. Python 2.6 and IPython 0.11 (the recently published stable release) are already installed on my machine

3. When I'm running VS2010, I'm able to open the standard (pure-Python) shell but, even if I have chosen "IPython" in PTVS options, I'm unable to open the IPython console...

For the record, I can't really close the interactive console. It's always running on the background, but that's probably normal. When I switch from Python to IPython (or the opposite) in PTVS options, nothing happens: what should I do to validate this change, as I can't close/reopen the console (I'm only able to restart the console, that's all)?

Thanks for your help,

-Pierre

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:18 AM

IPython isn't a seperate console so you won't see a new console if that's what you were looking for, it's just the same one running in a different mode.  After you change in options you'll need to restart the window.  To make sure I'm in IPython mode I generally just type something like "min?" to make sure it worked.  But if it starts w/o reporting an error and the option is set then you have all of the IPython extensions.

It'll look basically the same as we're still in control of the prompts.  You can change the prompts to be more IPython like be setting them to "In [\#]: " in the options.