RC1 has some bugs !!!

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

1. Vs would crash, when open the project in the vs main page!

2. some note like "# -*- coding:GBK -*-", it point that "GBK" is mistake.

3. The breakpoint is not hit, when attach to the c++ program which loads python script.

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM

hi flyingfether,

could you provide more details so we can repro the problems you're facing?  ideally, please paste or attach some code & give a step by step description of when you run into the problem.  screenshots will be great as well. 

thanks!

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:33 AM
Edited Jul 14, 2011 at 4:31 AM

hello!Now the bug is  like this:

1. Just Start vs2010, click the recent project on the starting page, and then just waiting vs loading the project some time, the vs crashes.(My system is windows 7 and my vs2010 is chinese version.)

2."# -*- coding:GBK -*-", just point that "GBK" is syntax error. Just input    # -*- coding:GBK -*- , you can see that.

3.Now I have a C++ program. The program loaded some python script. I attach it in vs. I make a breakpoint in python code, but the breakpoint woundn't hit just like bate2.

Thease bugs could reappear easily.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

For issue #3 how do you embed Python?  Are you using just a single interpreter w/ a call to Py_Initialize?  Or do you use <tt class="descname">PyInterpreterState_New to create multiple interpreter states?  Currently we can only attach to the default interpreter state.</tt>

Also, given that the attach succeeds, if you raise an exception in the Python code and configure the Debug exceptions window to break on when Python exceptions are thrown does the debugger break?  Just trying to narrow down if it's an issue w/ the breakpoints or something with attach in general.

Recognizing GBK encoding should be easy.

Did you send an error report to MS for the crash?  If so it should be easy to track that down and fix that as well.

Thanks for the reports!

Editor
Jul 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Some further comments:

1. I will try to check to see if the crash is related to the language version in VS. I don't have a Chinese installation at the moment, but I will see if I can use another team's Chinese VM pool.
  2. We just introduced a feature where we recognize the coding: comment but getting it exactly right has been hard. I think we may need to start examining the Lib\encodings directory when we parse the coding: line. I'll open an issue.
Jul 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Well, I found out another bug. It could not go to the definition by pressed F12, It reported that it did not have instance. The project was created by bate2. Does not the RC1 support older project?

By the way. The vs crash does not reappear often.  Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Just a status update on these issues:

We've fixed recognizing the gbk encoding.

We've probably fixed the attach to process issue (there was an issue w/ CPython 2.5, and an issue w/ not hitting break points in already loaded modules).

I haven't been able to repro the goto def or crash issues - but we'll be putting out an RC2 soon (early next week).  If you could report back if those are still occuring that'd be great.  If they do maybe we can investigate further. 

Thanks for the reports!

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

That would be great!

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Hello!I am glad to see that RC2 does not crash, and it can go to def again!

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Great, thanks for the respsonse. If you see any new issues, don't hesitate to let us know.