Remote debuging

May 31, 2011 at 6:38 AM

I would like to do some remote debuging on a linux box(boxes), how would I go about doing it.

Second question:

Is it possible to debug more then one app on a number boxes at the same time.

These will be all linux boxes.

Editor
May 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Our remote debugging solution depends on msvsmon to provide the attach-to-process functionality, so remote debugging doesn't work on linux out of the box.  However, given a process attach infrastructure on linux you could reuse our debugger.py to talk back to Visual Studio, as that is a simple socket connection. If you wanted to implement that and contribute it back we'd definitely look at taking it.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I'd also be interested in a way to connect to remote python processes running on linux etc. in a similar way to how WinPDB operates, i.e. without attaching to a certain process but connecting to a listening debugger - this allows for example to attach to a python script running through WSGI inside Apache.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Could you open a feature request for this in the issue tracker?  We could certainly look into doing this as our debugger for the most part just needs a socket to talk to the remote process (there are some assumptions that the VS portion of the debugger is running on the machine where the debugging is happening, but we could get rid of those).  And of course we'd accept a change which made this possible if you want to look into doing this yourself.