Autocompletion and IntelliSense not working at all

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:34 AM

i installed current version of python tools into VS 2010 Ultimate (32bit) running on an Windows 7 Prof 64bit. I use the cpython 2.7 (32bit) and the latest version of ironpython (2.7).

Regardless which project or file template is use, and even regardless of which interpreter i do use no autocompletion (Alt+Space) does work. Intellisens does just nothing. Tried regeneration of the indexes for several times now but nothing seems to help.

Is this a bug or do i miss something here ?

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM

If you type "import " (import followed by a space) do you see a list of import completions that pop up?  Likewise if you do "import " and then hit Ctrl-Space there do you see completions?  If that does work and you import a module in the list do you get completion off of those members when you dot through them, for example:

import sys

?  I'm just trying to figure out where things are breaking first.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM

I'm experiencing the same symptoms with Windows 7 x64, VS 2010 Ultimate, PTVS 1.0 Beta 2, CPython 2.7 64-bit, and IronPython 2.7.  Nothing that normally should bring up IntelliSense in Python seems to do so, both in the interactive shells and in the text editor.

Prior to installing PTVS, IronPython's tools were able to provide IntelliSense properly (I removed and reinstalled IronPython without the bundled tools before installing PTVS).

IntelliSense is working in C# and the appropriate "Statement completion" options are enabled for All Languages, IronPython, and Python in Tools -> Options -> Text Editor.

I've tried both methods of "Generate Completion Database" in Tools -> Options -> Python Tools -> Interpreter Options; "Generate built-in and standard library database" starts Microsoft.PythonTools.Analyzer.exe, which runs for a couple minutes as expected.

EDIT: I managed to get it going after I did the following:

1. Uninstall IronPython
  2. Repair PTVS
  3. Install IronPython, and disable all but IronPython itself in the feature selection part of the install wizard

Which is odd, because I'd already done 1. and 3. before installing PTVS to begin with.  Oh well!  Hope this is helpful to anyone else with this issue  :)

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:05 AM

import sys

doesn't produce any code completion. I installed in the following order:

1. EPDFree
  2. IronPython
  3. PTVS

Nothing. Code completion still doesnt work

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:45 AM

davidsiaw: Do you see syntax color highlighting when you a open a .py file?  I'm assuming when installing IronPython that you unselected the IronPython Tools for VS?