No .net or standard intelisence

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Hi, finally python can get to its propper place n the languages market :)

I installed ironPython 2.7 and python tools into VS 2010 and finally got the intelisence working for the python side.

But non of the intelisence works for the ,net side, i.e. the default application that shows a button on a form

does not show up anything when you do a dot after the word button or even if you type 'System.'

Also the clr command does not have intelisense on it but it does work.

Is this expected/normal or do i I have to add something else like usings and references in C# rather than imports

Trying to generate controls and use .net is going to be hard without the help.

Cheers

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Is your default interpreter and/or the projects interpreter set to IronPython - that should be the case if you did File->New Project->IronPython Application.  I'm seeing when I do that following import System I can do "System." and get completion. 

From there if you do clr.AddReference('System.Windows.Forms') for example I see that I start picking up members from that assembly.   

If the default interpreter isn't the problem I'll probably have more questions to try and figure out why it's broken for you.

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Yes, I have tried several new' IronPython win form projects' and the others.

Funnny thing is that in the interactive window the intelesence works for
'System.'
but just not in Visual Studio Shell?

I can enter the whole thing in interactive and do 'button.' and get the
full list of intelisence.
Also all the normal Python intelesence is working fine as well.

I have tried adding a second search path for the interpreter ipy64.exe and
ipyw64.exe files

I have added the interpreter again and referenced that in the properties
of the application

It does run though but without the help of the intelisence to use .net its
going to be a long slog.

Cheers and thanks for replying.
Ade

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Are you using IronPython via a custom interpreter?  Did we not pick up your IronPython install or did you not install IronPython via the MSI? 

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

No its a standard Ironpython installed using the msi.

However its is to a non standard location, its on my S drive. Could this be a cause?

I have just 'tried' with a second reference to the IronPython interpreter.

Maybe I should ask a different question.

Should the .net intelisence 'just work' when doing a ironPython win form project so that

button.

gives intelisence?

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Yes, it is supposed to just work.  In general it should pick up any calls to clr.AddReference and you should get completion against those types if they are in the GAC.  The reason I was asking the questions is actually because completion is working fine for me.