What's the difference between PTVS and IronPython Tools for Visual Studio?

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Color me confused but what is the difference between Python Tools for Visual Studio and the IronPython Tools for Visual Studio included in the IronPython distribution? If there is a difference can they live side by side?

--Greg

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM

hi Greg,

PTVS is based on the IronPython Tools code base and improves on it -- CPython, Cluster support, IPython, etc.  It's meant to replace the old version (tho you can't install them side by side :( ).

s

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:07 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2011 at 5:07 AM

so by RTM (Fall 2011 tentative), PTVS will replace IronPython Tools as the de-facto VS2010 IDE plugin?

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Does this mean there is coordination with the current IronPython project? Will the IronPython tools be removed from the standard distro?

Editor
Mar 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM

There's no formal coordination. But it would certainly make sense to pull any feature development from IronPython Tools into PTVS and then deprecate IronPython Tools.

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I did talk to Jeff Hardy about this at PyCon.  It sounds like IronPython may stick w/ IpyTools for 2.7 as it's already out and move to integrating PyTools for 3.x.

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Edited Mar 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM

hi apocolpse,

you're right that the current situation isnt ideal and confusing.  IronPython 2.7 (and its associated IronPython Tools) was well underway to be released before PTVS was ready.  Once PTVS leaves Beta, the recommended thing to do is to get IronPython+IronPython Tools, uncheck (or uninstall) IronPython Tools, and insall PTVS which is an evolution of the same codebase.

For the next major version of IronPython, we'll work w Jeff & friends to point the installer to PTVS for tools support.  It'll be two installs instead of one, but not a huge deal.

> I thought Microsoft was done with supporting python and give it to the community.

Our stance is that we love Python... pick a flavor, any flavor... CPython... IronPython... etc and we'll do our best to support it.  While IronPython is very much a community project, we (through Enthought) just made a major investment in it by porting NumPy/SciPy to IronPython.  Also check out MPI.Net which works well w IronPython.